Detroit power plant demolished
The remaining structures of Detroit’s Conners Creek power plant were brought down via explosive felling Dec. 13, The Detroit News reports. The coal-fired plant, which was owned by DTE Energy Co., was originally built in 1915. By 1957, the plant employed more than 350 workers and produced enough energy to power 400,000 homes. In 1996, the original plant and its seven smokestacks were brought down. The plant was formally decommissioned in 2008.
The demolition of Conners Creek power plant’s remaining structures will clear space for Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, who now owns the land. Fiat Chrysler has announced it will conduct a $2.5 billion plant expansion at the site.
Brian Nuno, marketing program manager for DTE Energy, told FOX 2 that hazardous materials had been removed from the building in the months leading up to the demolition to ensure the explosive felling was safe for area residents. Several dust curtains were also erected and industrial fans were set up to help stop dirt and debris from spreading.
Watch the video of the demolition below, courtesy of WXYZ-TV.